View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
bbells
bbells will become famous soon enoughbbells will become famous soon enoughbbells will become famous soon enoughbbells will become famous soon enoughbbells will become famous soon enoughbbells will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, Nook e-ink
I have both the Nook Color and original Nook e-ink. I went with the e-ink (before color was out) because of its replaceable battery, battery life, expandable storage, ability to add non-Barnes and Noble books, and e-ink display.
I got the Nook Color for the ability to root it and turn it into an Android tablet and to possibly replace my e-ink. Here is why I rarely use the Nook Color: I can barely see the screen when wearing polarized sunglasses in the bright sunlight or shade. The Nook Color is also irritating to my eyes when reading in a dark room. It is heavier than the e-ink. The battery life is horrible - When on vacation I needed to charge it twice a day, and had to ration my use while at airports (vs 1x a week for the e-ink). External USB battery packs do not work on it. It has pluses: Easier web browsing, easier emails, Angry Birds, etc.
For an ereader, the e-ink models can't be beat for their battery life and ease of reading. I read about 50% faster with the e-ink screen. I now NEVER use my Nook Color for reading.
My opinion: If you want an ereader get an e-ink that can use books from any source (all formats can be converted to whatever your device requires).
If you want to root it and have an inexpensive yet excellent Android tablet get the Nook Color.
If you want both an ereader and tablet get both. The color makes too many compromises as an ereader.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote