View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
New Reader - initial thoughts

Husband bought me a Sony Reader a few days ago; I installed the eBook Library software, was immediately baffled, and opened up an explorer window to find out where the books go. On finding a folder named "Books" with a bunch of .lrf files, I threw a pile of ebooks into the mix--some PDFs, some RTFs; not bothering with TXT 'cos I can convert them to RTF so quickly. Downloaded a couple of free LRFs to add to the mix. Re-open library; nice to see they're in there.

Read some books. Established that I'm perfectly content reading RTFs that are 12pt Times in the original, either flush-left with a line break between paragraphs, or (preferred) with first line indented, and no space between paragraphs. Discovered, as warned, that PDFs are a pain, and I'll have to work on conversions for many of them. Discovered RTFs have some arcane and nonsensical way of assigning "author." And sometimes title.

I'll get used to the flicker on page-turning; already, I only notice it for the first couple of minutes.

Head to Fictionwise; go through my bookshelf and grab some stuff I haven't read yet to download as LRFs. Yaay, stuff to read.

Download Calibre, with intent to play with that later today. I love doc conversion; I'll have to sort out how to format docs for good LRF. (Damn. I'd just gotten quick at formatting them for eReader.)

Decide to start picking up my 100 free classics.
1) Dialup internet and commercial website are an unhappy combination.
2) The idea, "You can only buy our products online with our proprietary BROWSER" is insane.
3) Said proprietary browser is not pretty on a 1024 pixel screen. Left-side bar isn't adjustable, either.
4) I don't expect to actually pay for any books from Sony's bookstore.

At some point, I gather I'm supposed to be able to use the Library to install books on the reader. I hate "user-friendly" software that assumes the user is such an idiot they don't need to have anything explained; just "click here for results!!!" that don't always make any sense.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote