View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I'm not sure I see the point in "no self-pubs" in a deals/freebies post.

What counts as "self-published?" What's the difference between the publisher being listed as Createspace or Smashwords, and being listed as some company you've never heard of, which is the author, or the author and three friends?

Dean Wesley Smith and Kris Rusch have a publishing company they started in order to republish their own works, to which they'd reclaimed the rights. Are those self-pub? Are they only self-pub if they hadn't previously been published by a mainstream publisher? How about "the new book in my series" when the previous ones had been published by Random House, who declined to continue it?

CJ Cherryh, Jane Fancher, and Lynn Abbey have Closed Circle publishing. I have no idea if the no-self-pubs-please people would prefer their sales/giveaways be listed or not.

Setting aside the mostly-rhetorical hairsplitting arguments, the fact is, it's very hard to tell what books are "self-published." And given the quality level of some of the new tiny publishing companies--some of which are mostly "we'll do a proofreading pass and then throw your word doc into Calibre for you"--I don't see that "no self-pub" means "weed out the slush."

Hey, if the book is listed at a sale/bargain price, or free, it's still up to the reader to decide if the blurb and/or sample is appealing.

While I'd love to see some rec threads and even just sales/bargain lists for self-pub ebooks, because I'd like the good self-published authors to get more attention and money, I can't see any fair way of excluding them from other lists.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote