View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
>>>>Why?

I guess you stopped reading the part you quoted with a WHY? exactly in the middle since if you had continued reading I IMMEDIATELY then stated exactly "why"

>>>>A week or month from now you'll be heading off to Madagascar or the Antarctic and think, "Gee wouldn't it be great to be able to have access to my books and news, like Starson17 can. But you'll have your books all cut up into different libraries, so you can only get books from one of them. Leave them in the one library. How would you like it if you went to your local library and asked for a book and a newspaper and they told you the books are across town in library building 2, but you can get the newspapers here in building 1 if you want?

You know its amazing how easy my system is. Say I want to read Kress's Probability moon.

its so easy I click Start then click Search. I select my external drive and type kress or moon and WOW half a second alter their it is. I drag and drop the file onto my reader's mem card and away I go.

or I click on My computer goto external drive click books click kress drag and drop probability moon. time consumed? less time than it takes to OPEN Calibre (NOT a cut on calibre mind you its a VERY nice program just not efficient for the way I read)

Second I would never put a madagascar book on an e reader. I would bring the full color book with me (though I guess it depends on what kind of book it is) nor is it likely to be available to me in ebook format.

>>>Then a week from now, you'll think, "Gee, those books by Author "John Smith" really ought to be labeled as being by "John Q Smith" and you'll have to swap between libraries again, and you won't be able to see the books you're working on with the books you think are done. Just use the tags - please. Just for a while? You really will like it better in the long run. I was like you at the beginning, but it's only because we aren't familiar with tags that we don't like them ... at first.

No actually I would just click the John Smith Folder to enable "edit" of file name mode and ADD the stinkin Q. :-) again in half the time it would take to even EXECUTE the Calibre icon not to speak of load it and find the book after it loaded.

>>>Calibre doesn't "organize them" - you do, with tags and sorting the columns. You should never ever ever have to go to the folder that Calibre keeps the books in. Just ask it for the books you want to be sent to your device or your disk, and it puts the books you want, named the way you want, in the folders you want, and you can change all of the above whenever you desire.

NO it organizes them into a DB and then expects me to conform to its DB methods in order to access my data. This is the same difference as with an IPOD that forces you to make all your ID3 Tags right and then forces you to access VIA id3 tags which is a royal fraking pain in the butt versus going to SD card Artists Album and your frelling done.

I guess it depends on what kind of person you are and HOW you consume your media. I tend to know exactly what I want and know precisely how to go get it.

some people like ala carte ie give me all "blues" or all "jazz" I simply NEVER listen to music like that. I don't know why. My way is not better or worse but for me my way is fast and easy while the DB way is a royal pain in the butt because I simply do not consume my media that way.

This is not a BAD thing it just means we are not a perfect match. Calibre is still a truly awesome program. The easiest I have ever used at getting my content into a convenient CLEAN sony reader format. ie I use it as a converter pretty much only as a converter.

so off course it way of "managing" the library for me gets in my way. Not a big deal I was just hoping I could make contort it a little to make my life easier. I won't whine about it. Its good software and its FREE. but no harm (usually) in asking.

>>>Why?
You can have it automatically create tags, get tags by fetching online, globally add and delete tags from groups of selected books, etc. They really are extremely flexible. If you don't want tags, don't do them - News are already automatically tagged as "News" for you, so that's no effort. "Cumbersome" is when you can't find what you need, and have to manually go through all your books to find something. Tags and Calibre's superb search system avoids all that.

I CAN find what I need. in Calibre I can NOT find what I need without running through its design parameters (ie using the search bar that I do not want to use because it takes more time than it needs to take when a simple drag and drop from one library to another would solve my problem in less time than it takes you to move your mouse to the search bar and type your search parameter.

When you think "structurally" like I do one system tends to work well the other "wastes time"

when you think "browse and explore" the calibre system works GREAT and my system sucks.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote