View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #22
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Yeah SiPix is very similar to E-Ink. They're both EPDs (electrophoretic displays), and operate on the same general principles. SiPix has some advantages in thinness and durability, though it is visually a little inferior to E-Ink (lower white reflectance in particular, making the screen a little more gray. The numbers I see are ~30% for SiPix, ~40% for E-Ink)

Here's a video that shows a reader that uses a SiPix Microcup EPD screen:

After 2 minutes you'll see the display in action, and you'll notice it's slow, just like most E-Ink devices. Demonstrators love to re-tap and re-swipe to try to conceal the lack of responsiveness in a device. To be fair though, that's likely the processor and software. Personally I think their huge demonstration "reading" text is hilarious.
Well the refresh rate is fine, but it seems that the software is slow. But I really don't think ASUS will risk going into the market with a slower screen than eInk. I think that they are getting a new technology from SiPix. Otherwise, they'd just use the Metal-Foil e-Paper Display used in the Skiff.
I heard it is very fast even with the large screen.

I just hope they release the device soon.
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote