View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #40
jridley
Enthusiast
jridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with others

Device: Nook Touch
I just bought the Nook Touch. It was between that and the Kobo Touch. I've had a Sony 505 for several years. I did look at the Sony but the Nook had everything I wanted plus slightly faster page turns, and the Nook is a dream to hold in your hand. If there's an uncomfortable way to hold the Nook Touch, I haven't found it yet.

The Sony does have more features, but I don't want any of them.

True that the Nook does only give 235 megs or so to load your own books, but I don't think I've ever loaded that many books on a reader anyway. I only generally keep 30 or 40 books on at most at once.

FWIW, I side-load everything, even if I buy it from the B&N Nook store, because I have a deep-seated loathing for DRM. I will probably never turn the radio on on the Nook now that it's set up. I have absolutely zero interest in any of the "social" features. I'm hardly ever in any location that has WiFi available anyway except my house.

I came very close to buying the Kobo instead, and it appears to me that if PDF reading is important to you, the Kobo may be the better choice. I really hardly care at all about PDFs so for me it came down to form factor, and I absolutely love the feel of the Nook in my hand.

FWIW, I have gotten so used to the ereader with the Sony 505 that I really preferred it over paper, because it was so much easier to handle. The Nook Touch is easily twice as nice, and now I simply won't buy paper at all, except for things like large color photograph coffee table books and the like.

Last edited by jridley; 06-07-2011 at 05:11 PM.
jridley is offline   Reply With Quote