View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by April View Post
Hello all! I'm new here, and hope you all can help me. It seems like a friendly kind of place

I will be ordering a Kindle next week, and am really excited. I've been collecting ebooks for about 10 years, but this will be my first portable reader. Here's where I'm having problems.....

I have several thousand ebooks, in PDF, HTML, DOC, RTF, TXT, LIT, PDB, PRC....... You get the idea.

What I would like to do is to batch-convert all of them to a format the Kindle can read. I'm thinking that PRC would probably be the best, but I don't know for sure.

So, my question is two-fold - first, what would be the best format to convert everything to, and second, what would be the best software to use for the conversion? Last time I checked, my ebooks numbered over 10,000, so anything that will batch convert is obviously preferable.

Thanks in advance!

April
If I'm not mistaken, the Kindle uses .mobi along with a .mobi variant called .azw.
I have a Sony, not a Kindle but here's how I do it for my Nokias. Your best bet would be MobiPerl, a free suite of tools you can find my searching the forum. You'll also need a tool called ConvertLit also free (search google) For batch conversions, I work from the command-line, using linux bash scripts:

Quote:
#!/bin/bash

#doloop

OPERATION=$1

for file in ./* # Filename globbing.
do

$OPERATION $file

done

exit 0
I would call the script above with: '$doloop lit2mobi' were I converting a directory of .lit format files, substituting different commands for different fletypes. This would also work if you're using OS X. For Windows, you'll have to find someone with better .bat file skills, but I'm sure it's doable there too.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote