View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #232
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
I don't agree--I think private behavior does affect how society operates. What I do in the privacy of my home affects how I interact with people outside of my home.

And we're talking here about my earlier stated desire that these books did not exist (again, not a desire to ban or burn them, just a moral preference that they did not exist). Their creation and online distribution is certainly a societal issue as it intrinsically involves more than one person.
It is not a societal issue at all.

It is fiction. Pure and simple. It is someone's sexual fantasy.

Fiction. As in Not True. As in False. As in "It didn't happen."

People should butt out of other people's private lives unless someone is being hurt.

No man is an island living unto himself. We all have DIFFERENCES - different thoughts, actions, feelings, behaviors.

Once you start trying to assume you know what's best for someone that you are not raising...you've crossed the line.

Do you think that most of the people here defending the right of these books are reading them? Not likely. But I will defend them to the death.

Because I know what happens when people start to try to force their personal set of morals and behavior on others...

...it's the reason for the poor laws that forced women to place their children (HUNDREDS OF THEM) in baby farms to die and/or be forced into prostitution http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/194675503
...it's the reason why blacks were not allowed to eat, sit or marry whites.
...it's the reason why people want to keep homosexuals from marrying.
...the list goes on and on.

Now, I'm not saying that you don't have the right to not like this kind of work. I don't like it either, it's not my thing...

But it does have the right to exist.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote