View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #29
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Fair enough. I tend to have a short story collection on the go at the same time I read a longer book, and it's always easier for me to fit in an extra short story than anything else. What if there was a short story that tied in directly with your 500 page book, would that make any difference? If it was included as a free extra within the book would you read it then?
If it was directly tied into the 500 page book, I might be inclined. On the other hand, I never read the "preview chapter" at the end of a book [paperback usually ... pre-e-reader days] after the first few times I encountered them ... because when I would find the actual book to which the preview chapter belonged, I tended to think I'd already read it.

I don't seem to recall book titles or covers nearly as well as I recall the actual story line. So ... when I was looking at books to purchase, I would always turn to the first chapter. If while reading the first page the text "rang a bell" ... I would presume that I'd read the book already. This was not always the case, naturally.

If I knew that a given short story pertained directly to the 500 page book, and was not simply a sample chapter ... I might be convinced to read it to get a feel for the story line ... but the problem there is that I'd want to have the 500 page book available at the same time. If I liked the short story, then I'd want to dive into the whole story ... get enveloped by it right away.

HTH

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote