View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
yes...atlast shrugg could do some damage if it fell on your nose. along with war and peace. ebooking is a good choice.
unfortunately, to get atlas shrugged onto the kindle, one must format it oneself. (i read this in the content list -- someone responded to the thread i started over there. and it doesn't show on amazon as available in kindle format.) but the person who did it says it's *far* more accessible in electronic format. i do wish amazon would put out a kindle edition of that one. same with 'the making of the atomic bomb' and 'dark sun'. i would not get rid of my print copy of that one. on the bright side, neal stephenson's 'baroque cycle' and 'cryptonomicon' (and probably 'anathem') are available as kindle editions. to me, they count as huge. especially the 3-volume baroque cycle.

and -- no, i do not own a kindle yet. i am being patient and waiting for a couple of things before i take the plunge. but. for me personally the deal-killer on the sony, was the lack of content searchability. if i'm going to get a reader that's going to draw power, i want more than just storage capacity. i want searchability. the best uses of large storage capacity *are* things like giant books, and a big ol' dictionary; which would be completely annoying to use without content searchability.

besides. i know this is going to sound totally insane (leeet's call it a quirk..), but i would truly feel stupid looking in a print dictionary to get more definitions of a word that i saw while reading an e-book on a device that draws power (albeit not that much), and that cost me n times what the print version of the book would have cost.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote