View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #48
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplechase View Post
As a frugal shopper, until eReaders are at least as long lived as a calculator, a portable phone, a remote control, a transistor radio, televisions or even a standard laptop computer I can't see how I would ever purchase another one.

So, when (if ever) do you see them becoming as long lived as other commonly used electronic devices?
I got my first kindle as a present. I broke it after a half of year by accident.
Amazon replaced it, practically no question asked.
I will always buy a kindle withouth any thinking when it will be sturdy as a calculator. Why?

Because basic kindle4 is 70 $. That is average 7 books. I can read thousands and thousands of free books I would have to otherwise loan from library or read on a stupid PC screen which makes my eyes hurt. This makes the device pays for itself.

Second point. Amazon will replace the kindle without any hassle if it breaks in the one year guarantee period. They are really great company for this and they know that building the base of people with their device is building a base of buyers for their books. And this is where the real money is.

So for me your question is no question at all. I read a lot of books and for a year of reading 70 $ is not that much. I give 200 $ on my contacts for a year and I use up them as well.

All modern electronics is made to break in a reasonable period. How else would this consumer society work?

Peace out.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote