View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Without being aware of this thread, I posed some related suggestions in this thread. Put succinctly:
* A clearly visible link to the standard forum advanced search from the "Ebooks" links.
* Enforcing standardized naming of new additions to library.
* Making a proper database of the library.

I hope the first suggestion is trivial, though knowing SW systems I fear not...

The second is maybe possible to implement with javascript, both making a form and a conformity check - I think it is just within my javascript capabilities if no more competent volunteers pop up.

Regarding the third, that's a whole different fishy kettle. Given the many naming variations, it's definitely a challenge. I've only looked at the posting headers for the books, not at the metadata. Even so, with a liberal use of some creative regular expressions, it should be possible to extract meaningful data fields from all but a few thousand () books.
I regard myself as a fairly dab hand with a regexp (though plenty people lurk in this forum who far surpass me), and can lend a hand if there's any use for such an endeavour.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote