View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Sigil, the ePub editor

OK, here we go...

As some of you may already know, I have been working on an ePub editor for quite some time now. And after about six months of development time, I come to you with the current, initial version of Sigil. It’s still rough around the edges (to say the least), so consider it an alpha build at best (version 0.1.0). It can crash, it can bug out on you. It has nowhere near the features I want it to have, but it will get there. I consider this to be a multi-year project for me, so this is just the start.

Now what does it have to offer…
  • Free and open source software under GPLv3
  • Multi-platform: runs on Windows, Linux and Mac
  • Full Unicode support: everything you see in Sigil is in UTF-16
  • Full EPUB spec support
  • WYSIWYG editing
  • Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Split View
  • Metadata editor with full support for all possible metadata entries (more than 200) with full descriptions for each
  • Table Of Contents editor
  • Multi-level TOC support
  • Book View fully supports the display any XHTML document possible under the OPS spec
  • SVG support
  • Basic XPGT support
  • Advanced automatic conversion of all imported documents to Unicode
  • Currently imports TXT, HTML and EPUB files; more will be added with time
  • Currently exports EPUB and SGF (Sigil native format); more will be added with time
  • Embedded HTML Tidy; all imported documents are thoroughly cleaned; changing views cleans the document so no matter how much you screw up your code, it will fix it (usually )
  • An actually usable user interface
  • Native C++ application
  • Bugs
  • And a lot more...
It can be downloaded here: http://code.google.com/p/sigil/. There is currently no documentation, so don’t waste your time looking for some (it will be added with time, don’t worry).

Installation instructions can be found here.

Report any bugs on the issue tracker on Sigil’s website (search the threads and the tracker first, please; also, read this wiki page). Be sure to include any and all relevant information. The more info you give me, the better and sooner will I be able to help you. Feel free to give any suggestions on how Sigil can be improved. My TODO list of features and improvements fills up a book (literally), but I’m certainly more than willing to hear what other people think.

This is open source software, and it will hopefully be open source development. I want the community to say what should be changed, updated, improved and in what way. MobileRead is by far the most awesome community I’ve ever been a part of and I know we’ll be able to come up with some great ideas.

Request for documentation writers can be found here.

For those who want more up-to-date information on Sigil's development, you can always see the live ChangeLog here. That file is linked directly from the repository, and it is updated as bugs are fixed and features are added. You can also subscribe to RSS and Atom feeds here.

Also feel free to check out Sigil's development blog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	book_view.png
Views:	7616
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	33437   Click image for larger version

Name:	code_view.png
Views:	5375
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	33438   Click image for larger version

Name:	split_view.png
Views:	5022
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	33439   Click image for larger version

Name:	meta_editor.png
Views:	5236
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	33440   Click image for larger version

Name:	toc_editor.png
Views:	4443
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	33441  

Last edited by Valloric; 12-18-2009 at 07:46 AM.