View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
???
It's one thing if the battery leaks or explodes, but if the battery is simply down to minutes of charge time you can run the phone or tablet plugged in just fine.
I had that happen with my Sony T1. It booted up and ran while "charging" but shut down as soon as I pulled the plug. Technically still usable but not terribly practical. However, Windows hardware with usb ports is still useful as print servers, file servers, etc, and the cost is sunk so if it still can be useful, why landfill it?

Newer tablets with OTG, are the same.
There's a lot of uses for old hardware.

It comes down to what different people consider to be a proper hardware life cycle--two years, five years, whatever--and what they consider disposable hardware.
Lots longer than is common today.
I play LP's (vinyl discs) that I bought Just after High School (class of 63) on 50YO Speakers using a 40YO turntable. (OK, the Amps only 20YO).
Oh! and some of those are Quad from the 70's.
I have some VHS tapes and to replace the failed player would cost me more than twice what I paid for the original (new).
There is no reason for throw away (batteries that can't be changed. Flimsy buttons) electronics.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote