View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #62
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
But both those machines would be dead if they were modern tablets, which can't run directly off external power with no battery, and where you can't swap the batteries out.
Batteries are the weak point in all devices at the moment.
???
It's one thing if the battery leaks or explodes, but if the battery is simply down to minutes of charge time you can run the phone or tablet plugged in just fine.
I had that happen with my Sony T1. It booted up and ran while "charging" but shut down as soon as I pulled the plug. Technically still usable but not terribly practical. However, Windows hardware with usb ports is still useful as print servers, file servers, etc, and the cost is sunk so if it still can be useful, why landfill it?

Newer tablets with OTG, are the same.
There's a lot of uses for old hardware.

It comes down to what different people consider to be a proper hardware life cycle--two years, five years, whatever--and what they consider disposable hardware.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote