View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #16
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
In your pictures, it looks like maybe there's a difference in the color temperature of the LED's between the PW3 and PW4. Or, it could be that Amazon does not have tight tolerances and the color temp could just vary from PW to PW. You'd never notice unless you compared two side-by-side.

On the plus side, the PW4 lighting in your picture looks smoother to me than the lighting on the PW3. You can see the shadows at the bottom of the PW3 screen (yeah, my PW3 has those same shadows). Didn't they increase the LED count from three to four on the new PW4? I seem to remember someone mentioning something like that. That might account for the smoother look.

Color temperature can fool your eyes. We interpret the light that tends more towards blue ("cooler" temperature) as being brighter and more contrasty. But it's also harsher. Think about the headlights on newer cars. Boy they sure look brighter and whiter coming at you. They are. But we also hate to look into them while they're frying our eyeballs. Most people prefer the older, warmer headlights when facing an oncoming car. Not so harsh.
I noticed right away since it just seemed darker and a little hazier, so I compared the two side by side. The PW3 has 4 lights and they added one more to the PW4 to make it 5. You are right the too bright light can bother the eyes, especially after awhile, but the darker tones with the softer font is a bit too difficult for me to see on the PW4. I turned it up some and will have to mess with fonts. That's on a bolded +1 Bookerly font. Bolding it a little more may help for the PW4.

I haven't seen any comments here on these boards about this issue besides mine, but I've noticed it in the comments of some reviews on websites that the Paperwhite is definitely whiter and the contrast is a little soft. I'm curious for other opinions and experiences as they trickle in.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote