View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #28
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Now I am confused too! It's the same file (both MD5 & SHA256 match), and my Device Information says '4.4.9349 (6f700792a0, 17/05/2017)'...
I think I understand what happened here. My GloHD and KA1 mark6 devices now display Device Information '4.4.9349 (6f700792a0, 17/05/2017)' - which is correct for the new mark6 fw (file size 84,648,827).

Normally the 4 files which get patched (nickel, libnickel.so.1.0.0, etc) are identical across the various mark3-6 versions of the firmware, so it doesn't matter which one you extract them from during the patch process. However, when I was preparing my patch files last night I didn't have a reliable mark6 version so I extracted the 4 files from the mark5 version.

As GeoffR says, nickel and libnickel.so.1.0.0 changed between 4.4.9344 and 4.4.9349. This firmware number is hard-coded in libnickel.so.1.0.0 and I suspect is used to populate the Settings - Device Information data.

I'm fairly confident that after the initial upgrade of my two mark6 devices (with the correct mark6 firmware) the Device Info would have been correctly set to 4.4.9349. However, after installing the patched libnickel.so.1.0.0 file, Device Info was set back to 4.4.9344 because that's the value in the mark5 version of libnickel.so.1.0.0.

Anyone with only one device to patch probably won't have run into this problem because they'll have used the same markn firmware for both the initial sideloaded upgrade and for the patching process.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote