View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 04:16 AM   #26
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you mean when you say "the correct version" when you're talking about a translated book like "The Three Musketeers"?
I was just using The Three Musketeers as an example, because it was the first public domain book that came to mind. However, Catlady's point stands. According to Wikipedia, one translation was by William Barrow, and since he died in 1877, it will now be in the public domain. If I have multiple copies of "The Three Musketeers, translated by William Barrow", and they are all different, how do I know which one is an accurate reproduction of William Barrow's translation? How do I know that any of them are?

The point is that if you have multiple copies of an ebook, it's easy to tell if the text differs, but it may not be easy to know which text is the original.