View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
danrodney
All Around Nice Guy
danrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, Nook 1st Gen, Nook Color
InDesign CS5.5, Embedded Fonts and ePub Validation

If you didn't know, InDesign CS5.5 can embed fonts and they work in Adobe Digital Editions and eReaders using Adobe technology such as the Nook. My question has to do with getting embedded fonts to validate.

Let me explain a bit more of a sample workflow:
1. Export from InDesign CS5.5 with embedded fonts. They work in ADE and Nook, great!
2. But the ePub doesn't validate. Someone told me that to get the fonts to validate, I have to edit the encryption.xml and
Find: Algorithm="http://ns.adobe.com/pdf/enc#RC"/
Replace: Algorithm="http://www.idpf.org/2008/embedding"/

After I do this change, the ePub validates! Sounds great, but the fonts do NOT work any longer! They don't work in Digital Editions or on Nooks (where they did back in step one).

Any ideas? I've attached two ePubs:
1 is a straight export from InDesign with working fonts, but doesn't validate.
2 is the same file with the URL changed so it validates, but that stops the fonts from working.

So here are my questions:
#1: Is it possible to have an ePub with embedded fonts validate with the fonts still working?
#2: If I can't have them validate, does it matter for getting them accepted for sale on the Nook or iBooks stores?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Dan
Attached Files
File Type: epub am-font-test1.epub (16.3 KB, 1349 views)
File Type: epub am-font-test2.epub (16.2 KB, 1290 views)

Last edited by danrodney; 07-17-2011 at 08:46 PM.
danrodney is offline   Reply With Quote