View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #42
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Some of us, myself included, are not sample readers. I'm either going to buy a book or not and don't want to read half the book as a teaser. What am I going to do, just stop at 50% because I didn't think it was great? Once I've invested that much in a book I want to finish it. It takes something pretty horrible to get me not to finish something.

In fact, almost every book I haven't finished has been non-fiction that turned out to be too dry to bear. I can't recall the last fiction book I didn't finish, even if I did feel like throwing it at the fireplace afterward screaming, "I wasted 3 hours of my life on this!!".

-Marcy
Karen McQuestion has some funny essays that are non-fiction "Lies I told my Children." It's short and pithy.

I have started "Learn me Good" by John McPhearson (which ficbot reviewed and didn't like too much). And I don't know how much of it is "nonfiction." It's more an exaggeration/funny kind of piece, but I happen to like that sort of thing.

I also read a very good book on Einstein that I found fascinating.

But I'm also not much of a non-fiction reader.

Well, unless it travel related, in which case I devour all kinds of travel info!

Last edited by BearMountainBooks; 08-20-2010 at 09:50 AM.