View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
'stupider' and 'lazier' are two different things. Perspective is important too, though. I was reading a novel recently where Edward VI was a character and I knew nothing about him. For the purposes of what I wanted to know, a quick Wikipedia lookup (while on the Kindle!) was more than sufficient, gave me the high points and did the job. And I don't think I compromised my intelligence or my value to society in any way. Meanwhile, I was researching for an assignment for an academic course I am taking and the expectation is that we will cite multiple sources from peer-reviewed journals. I know how to do so when the need arises because it is a skill that was (and continues to be) taught in school. But it is not a necessary (or appropriate) skill for every type of situation.

It's the same as junk food. If that's all a person ever eats, it's bad. But a treat now and then is not going to hurt anybody, and I have read at least two books lately that say up to 150 or so calories a DAY of junk food can be part of a healthy eating plan. Imho, part of the reason kids go to school is to learn things and do things they might not do on their own because they don't know how to, why to etc. and that's why they have adults to teach them. So if one wants kids who know how to go beyond Wikipedia, make it part of the school curriculum, teach them the skill and everybody wins. When you want a quick info overview, the internet will suffice. And when you want or need to go deeper, you'll know how to.

As for the death of long-form reading, I think Project Gutenberg is addressing that very well. All those books, available to anyone, anytime, for free...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote