View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Well, now they have to pay Amazon a cut. That money has to come from somewhere
This is why I hate clauses like the one Apple forced on publishers (most favoured nation). Baen should be free to continue selling books on their own site without the 30% rise to cover Amazons royalties (or whatever the % they have to pay is).

Fine with any other rise they may need to implement to keep their business viable of course. Whether that would put them outside my willing to pay amount, we'll never know. But we should be able to avoid the 30% rise due to Amazons cut if we buy elsewhere.

It's a shame MFN is legal.

Quote:
I don't sell an even amount of every book *I* put out. I'm sure they don't either. And Amazon (or B&N or Apple) is there to make a profit too. I don't see any way a publisher can list books at 6 dollars on an ongoing basis and stay profitable.
Baen managed to offer those books before on their own site at those prices. Prices I was happy to pay and regularly bought from Baen rather than Amazon or other sites because of it (DRM was also a big part of that). Now they can't and I'm not willing to pay the new prices.

I can fully understand why they've needed to make a deal to distribute through Amazon, but it doesn't change the fact that the deal means pricing raises that I'm not willing to pay.

One question remains, will Amazon require Baen implement DRM on their books now? There's been lots of mud slinging in the past where publishers have said they'd like DRM free but Amazon won't allow it and Amazon saying publishers are free to choose.

Will Baen books remain DRM free?

Last edited by JoeD; 12-11-2012 at 08:33 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote