Thread: Accessories Don't buy that junk!
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
pewterbot9
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
First off, I take umbrage to your use of the word "junk". Junk implies less than low quality, which this stuff is *not*.
Junk is low quality. Some of their products are either low quality, or overpriced to the max.

Quote:
I've bought many of the accessories over the past year, and they are not "junk".
Such as? Do tell, I'm all ears.

As I recall, a certain someone advised in another thread that the only cleaner he knows of that works with the Edge is Entourage's own brand. That is definitely not the case...while the Edge is unique as a device, there is nothing new about the material used in its plastic case and LED screen. This is such an obvious untruth, I'm rather stymied that he would make such a claim.

Quote:
As for price, the enTourage accessories, for the most part, are for "convenience" not for the lowest price, in my opinion You're free to buy elsewhere.
And you're free to waste your money.

Quote:
The advantage of buying from enTourage is that there's no guesswork with "will it fit/work".
Not necessarily. Such as the flaky flex neck light...which is junk for sure. I've seen those same lights close up...they're very tacky, probably worth less than 50 cents in parts. But they do look classy under bubble wrap! Once you open the package, it's a whole 'nother story. I believe you even discussed that issue in another thread.

Quote:
If you know of sleeves/cases that fit the PE perfectly (from *experience*!), please post links.
You're being silly. I've found very nice cases all the time at thrift stores, for my netbook, laptop, and subnotebook. They all fit perfectly, and look great. And soon, I will find one that will be perfect for my Pocket Edge. Besides getting an attractive, durable case for cheap, it's fun to hunt one down.

Quote:
The small PE is not a standard size, and even netbook sleeves are too large. Some ebook readers, like the Kindle, are similar in size, but a bit wider/taller and these tend to be thinner than the PE. Ultimately, you may find you have no choice to go with the enTourage one simply because you may not find any others.
Grasping at straws are we? I could see your point about the ethernet adapter, but you seem to be trying way too hard to convince viewers here, how preferable it is to purchase only Entourage branded products, in spite of their excessive price...and shoddiness in some cases. Yes, "convenience" is a factor...but that's an old ploy played by many for-profit businesses long before Entourage came along. Make them believe they are utterly dependent on their accessories, and their accessories alone. And it's a shoddy way to treat one's customers. As if they don't really believe in their main product.

Quote:
For the USB-to-Ethernet adapter, the Amazon link you posted shows crossover adapters, which is very different and useless with the eDGe.
I stand corrected, and have changed the link accordingly, to point to one that is known to work with the EE and PE, via Amazon.com (not eBay) as another posted in the thread you referenced. The corrected URL is: http://tinyurl.com/29oql8l

And the price for the adapter from Amazon is what...a measly $15 (including shipping). So there is a considerably less expensive solution, which you apparently prefer to ignore. You just need to get the StarTech USB2106S adapter.

Quote:
As for the stylus, again you have to buy a very specific replacement and not "just any ol' stylus".
Yes, whatever material is in the tip, to make the reader screen respond. I'm sure it's something simple like static, either plastic or some cheap alloy. I just got my PE several days ago, haven't had time yet to look into this. But I have seen just these types of skinny, small styluses being used on other small LCD devices, and they're likely made of the same stuff. I will shortly visit various computer and office supply stores, to see what they cost.

These styluses are easily lost or misplaced, thus the expense adds up. I'm sure if users could find a less costly solution, they'd be more than happy to forego an exact fit.

Besides, from perusing many threads here, I notice you have a wealth of knowledge on matters technical. Thus, causing me to suspect you already know what type of stylus will suffice and what to look for...and are just withholding the info in order to persuade Edge users to shop at Entourage.

Quote:
The forums have a few threads on how to find the larger full-size Wacom penabled pens
Yes, well, those Wacoms are expensive, I know...but I think it is obvious to any reader, I did not mean Wacoms, I meant these generic, skinny plastic styluses that are most likely cheaper purchased elsewhere. Though the more expensive pens have certain advantages for artistic needs, which even the original Edge stylus does not have. But I wasn't talking about those kind of requirements, and you do know that.

Quote:
The other items you mentioned are mostly commodities, and there are other threads that offer alternatives outside the enTourage store.
Well, do you disagree with their solutions, too? That's pretty much my point: to add to the list of money saving alternatives.

Quote:
So, while your opinion is certainly valid, your conclusions may not match those of others
Certainly, not yours. I think you've made a very weak case for yourself. Especially when it comes to the screen cleaner...makes one question the validity of your other claims.

Quote:
I do not work for enTourage.
Hmmm, but maybe you're kissing up? Can't say as I blame you, as we are all desperate to find decent-paying jobs. It just should not be at the expense of others who want to enjoy a community of Edge advocates. And not be misled.

Last edited by pewterbot9; 12-30-2010 at 03:01 PM.