View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I pitted LanguageTool against the Hairston sentences. It flagged only 12 of the 67 sentences in grammar mode*.

Spoiler:
16. The situation is quite different than that of previous years. ►Did you mean 'different 'from''? 'Different than' is often considered colloquial style. Suggestion(s): from
34. Him and Richards were the last ones hired. ►Please check whether the nominative 'He' should be used. Suggestion(s): He
36. These kind of errors would soon bankrupt a company. ►Did you mean 'this kind' or 'These kinds'? Suggestion(s): This kind, These kinds
37. My favorite quotation is, " Take what you want and pay for it. ►Unpaired symbol: '"' seems to be missing
37. My favorite quotation is, " Take what you want and pay for it. ►Use a smart opening quote here: '“'. Suggestion(s):
40. If Clemens had picked up that option, his family would of been rich. ►It's never correct to use 'of' after a modal verb. Use 'would have', or, in informal register, 'would've'. Suggestion(s): would have, would've
40. If Clemens had picked that option, his family would of been rich. ►Did you mean 'have'? ('would of' is probably an incorrect use of the verb phrase 'would have'; as contraction "would've" sounds like "could of") Suggestion(s): have
41. Its wonderful to have Graham back on the job. ►Did you mean 'It's' (='It is') instead of 'its' (possessive pronoun)? Suggestion(s): It's, It is
42. Calhoun has went after every prize in the university. ►Note: went is a past participle of "wend". Did you mean 'gone' (past participle of "go")? Suggestion(s): gone
43. Next year we expect to send a representative to China (if Peking allows it. ►Unpaired symbol: ')' seems to be missing
46. State employees can't hardly expect a raise this year. ►Double negatives are discouraged in standard English. Can you reformulate this phrase or is a comma missing? Suggestion(s): can hardly
48. Although the candidate is new to politics she has a good chance of winning. ►“Although” at the beginning of a sentence requires a 2nd clause. Maybe a comma, question or exclamation mark is missing, or the sentence is incomplete and should be joined with the following sentence.
56. The interruption will not effect my work. ►Did you mean 'affect'? Suggestion(s): affect
62. When we was in the planning stages of the project, we un... ►Use first person plural verb with 'we': 'are', 'were'. Suggestion(s): are, were

@Tex2002ans Can you please check the Hairston sentences with Antidote 9?

* I disabled the built-in spell checker for my test.
On those occasions when I've run Grammarly as a Grammar-checker, rather than a typo-catcher (as it works in browsers, which is where I do 99% of all my typing throughout the day), I've noted that it "stacks" errors. In other words, if you have sentence X, which contains 3 errors, it won't display all 3. It displays the highest-level mistake, the most common/simplest one, and then works "down" to the 3rd mistake. IOW, it starts with something simple like a typo and then drills down into punctuation and construction errors.

My point being that her test--isn't. She didn't see most of the errata that Grammarly may have caught, because she's on the other side of the paywall, firstly, and never drilled down, secondly. I'm certainly not saying that Grammarly is a viable substitute for knowledge, or a proper edit, but it works a bit better than she's crediting.

Offered FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote