View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 03:55 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreighton View Post
Although it may not seem like it, my Mac thinks that Dropbox and pCloud are local...

Instead, I use something called CloudMounter, which mounts Dropbox, Google Drive, pCloud, Box drive, or any remote drive while making the Mac think it's just any-old network drive. No copies needed. Dropbox and the others therefore function as extra, non-redundant storage. So I wonder if calibre would be able to work with that.
Calibre works like that:
It creates a "Calibre Library" folder on a local disk on a computer and when you import the book to Calibre it makes a local copy in an elaborate file structure, for example ~/Calibre Library/Author Name/Book name [index number]/ and keep all book related files for that single book in that directory. There will be book files (various formats, such as mobi, epub), a backup file with book metadata, cover image.
You can not change this structure and the author of Calibre has posted repeatedly that he will change this philosophy.
The only thing you could do is to create an "empty" book record, that will contain just a short text file with the address where your book is located instead of the actual book file.

As long as the operating system things that your remote cloud file repository is a local disk you can use Calibre to create a "Calibre Library" directory anywhere. It will still want to make a copy of the book for its library directory.

Please note, the strength of Calibre is that it manages your folder structure, so you do not have to. You query the database, work with your books and then use Calibre to copy selected books to your reading device or an export folder. Another strength of Calibre is that when you want to import a book you somply drag and drop it (or even hunreds of books at the time) and it will read the metadata from book files or filename according to your template and get the metadata for you. When you are not satisified with the metadata or a cover, you simply hit Ctrl+D and Calibre will search the net for a better cover or a blurb.

Also note, that many people have had problems in the past when they tried using dropbox or other cloud repository for the library. It works for a while and then you notice that books are missing, or your library is corrupted. Because Calibre thinks it has the "Calibre Library" directory on a local disk and treats it as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreighton View Post
I had no idea Calibre had a server version, but that sounds exactly like the complication I was trying to avoid. I'll look, but what I'm hearing is that I can run the server on my local machine, and it will index files on multiple drives. I then...wait...do I then run Calibre as well, to access the server that's on the same machine?
Calibre doesn't have a server version. It is the same Calibre, running on your PC or other designated computer with its library directory (on a local disk or a network disk (not recommended) or a cloud (*strongly* not recommended)). You can go then to the GUI and go to the Preferences, Sharing, Sharing over the net, and start the server. It will make your library accessible via http to the other computers on a local network. So you can then access your library from other devices through a browser.

There is also a portable version of Calibre that you can put on an external disk and maintain the library on that disk. That might be the path of least resistance for you. Please note that a typical book is under 1 MB, so a library with 2000 [Amazon] books might be 10GB, with a very generous margin of error. As long as the books are not scanned pdfs, or heavily illustrated or perhaps comics. You can buy 1TB external hard-disk for under 50 bucks on Amazon. You can buy 32GB USB flash disk for under 10 dollars.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote