View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
P.S. I promise not to lie about having read it or not, if you promise not to waste time trying to thwart the "not part of any series" rule through the usual semantic hooey.
Sensing some of the usual semantic hooey brewing.

Here's my definition of stand-alone: The fictional characters and/or fictional setting/universe have not--at this point in time--been reused in any other books. Books that stand alone today can have their stand-alone status revoked tomorrow if the author decides to revisit those characters/settings.

Everyone's free to have their own definitions of course, but for this exercise, that's what I envision for rule six.

Exclusion of a work based on that criteria should not be taken as any form of derision or condescension. I just prefer true "one-off" works the majority of the time.

Now, having said that... I've discovered that The Wind-up Bird Chronicle was originally published in Japan in three separate books. It was later published as one book in the English translation. I'm feeling a little conflicted over that fact, but I've already started and taken a bit of a shine to it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote