View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
Thank you for his clarification.

Personally, I never believed that Sigil would be the Word of the ePub (this role is excellently played by Jutoh)
Very quickly, I realized that if I wanted advanced formatting, I would have to get my hands on the code.
And I'm not complaining, I learned HTML and CSS to make my books look as pretty as possible, and I'm very happy about that now
I'm not talking about you. We've seen a lotta, lotta posts from VERY unhappy cranky would-be users, over the last 8-9 years. Your experience, mostly, is what I'd wish for Sigil users--start using it, realize you have to learn the guts, and do so. That's ideal.

Quote:
BV was the ideal gateway to the heart of Sigil and the ePub: direct code editing.
Except, it's not. All BV does it allow you to type, without knowing what's happening underneath, and format italics and bold, really. I don't see the correlation to "direct code editing," really. Not arguing, just saying. Given that BV is already dead, and only kept going by life support machines, it's a moot discussion, but...

Quote:
The great strength Sigil was to present the 2 versions :
1) A simple and fast editor, via BV
2) A powerful and complete editor, via CV and Preview
And it still does. Sure, you can't or won't be able to type in Preview. But really, if you think about it, you oughtn't type in preview, so it's helping the user to learn to type in code, without thinking that every time that they touch it, it's going to explode.

Quote:
He was the only one doing that, because the other editors are either one or the other.
I'm not saying BV is Sigil's strength.
There real strength of Sigil was to have the 2 in one software.

It is above all the loss of this versatility that saddens me.
But I understand that this versatility is too hard to maintain.
I believe that the word is impossible, not simply "too hard." I am not a steely-eyed missile man programmer, but if Kevin and Diap say so, it is so.

Quote:
Ok I'll change my setup to CV+Preview to get used to it now.

PS: About the "Neophytes complainet", I sympathize with you.
But this is explained because Sigil is very popular, and especially that the communication and understanding that users outside this forum is that it a Magic insta-ePUB editor, look a Word-like.
They believe that there is deception about the product, while no, it is the communication that is false.
In fairness, no...nobody ever said it would "work like Word." Valloric said it was WYSIWYG, but the rest of the imputation was people's inferences and wishful thinking. I mean, I recall posters who got mad that you couldn't apply text formatting (beyond strong and emphasis), and other things like that.

I'd also say that Jutoh isn't Word, either--I'll NEVER understand what on earth Julian was thinking, in creating his Styles the way he did, instead of just using CSS--and it seems unnecessarily complex to me. You can be a power-user in Word, and you still have to climb the hill of Jutoh, because of the way that Julian did things. {shrug}. I guess, when you're trying to distinguish your product from Word, you gotta do something different. Every time I've tried to wrangle Jutoh, I get so infuriated with all the fooferah around the application of Styles that I get angry and toss it. I mean, sheeeze, just let me slap in a stylesheet, for the love of heaven! The whole thing about having to scroll through ninety-bajillion styles to find yours...oish. (Yes, I know, this may have changed. Dunno.)

If I were anointing that position, (Word-like ePUBmaker heir presumptive) honestly, I'd choose AWP, myself. Not perfect; but pretty damn good. In many ways, for neophytes that want Book View, AWP is really the answer.

{shrug}, offered FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote