View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I had a Kindle DX screen that I broke replaced by a ebay seller who sells refurbished Kindles so it can be done. I also have a Sony PRS-950 screen on the way from China as I am going to try replacing both a screen with dead spots and a deteriorated battery on one. The Aura is inexpensive enough on ebay used so I am not sure of the economics of replacing the illuminated screen. It all depends on what you can get a screen for versus the price of a used unit.

The Kindle DX is still going for $160 to about $240 depending on condition so a screen replacement is worthwhile. The Sony is also still fairly expensive typically and the repair parts are in the $45 range for battery and screen from ebay sellers. The Sony also has the advantage of a PDF service manual being available and I have downloaded a copy. I have never seen mention of service manuals for Kobo or Kindle ebook readers.

I bought a new Kobo Aura from an ebay seller recently for $55 including shipping. Mentioned for comparison purposes.

Last edited by Richwood; 01-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote