View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #54
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
Looking to the future

Dear all, recently I havce been looking at some new epub reading Blio ereader/ and I think this may be the way to go if it is commercially viable for EZreader.

I find the current software stable and very servicable, however there are a few shortcomings (shared with every other ereading software with the exception of Firefox's add-on and mobipocket -- as far as I have tested so far). It is simply the inability to use <q> quote markup. I have no problem coding my epubs as <q class="dq"> and class "sq" double and single quotes, what I cannot do is get the actual quote mark placed via CSS.

Hence replication old fashioned block paragraph quote marks is relatively easy (that is no mark on the ending paragraphs until the last paragraph, adding in attributed "voices" to quotes via their element is something I need to do for my epubs to have lasting value for the future.

Blio ereader/ does all this, plus has a really nice natural reading voice, it has one other virtue, the software is designed to be cut down from a fully blown colour real layout desktop reader down to a scroll by phone monochrome ereader. What you get for the EZreader is a more complete CSS recognition, which would be useful for better quality epubs and perhaps even a little extra control over the display of text by the reader.

SO there is my suggestion, the Blio ereader/ has not been released yet but bears some careful scrutiny.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote