View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:16 PM   #24
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there software for the Kindle that works with OS X? If not, then the Kindle will need you to have a Windows setup in order to to use the software. I know for sure there is no version of Mobipocket for OS X. So using that to convert content is a no go with OS X.
I have a Mac and Kindle does indeed mount as a flash disk under OS X which will allow file transfers. And I have a 1 gig SD card in the Kindle and that shows up on my mac as another flash disk. So it works perfectly. I have copied several books over both via download and usb transfer.

As was mentioned before, for the conversion workaround, you just email your .html or .doc files to the @free.kindle.com addy they supply you with and and they convert to un DRM'd .azw files and email you the converted file. For me, it takes around 5 minutes or so to get the file emailed back to you. And as we all know, the un-DRM'd .azw file is just a .prc (mobi) file with a different extension.

Jjust for consistency and to keep it along with my other .prc files (mostly downloaded from here at mobilread), I just rename the extension to .prc and it shows up on Kindle fine.

And Kovid mentioned that he is working on a html2prc program, so if that even comes close to working as good as his other programs, it will solve this minor mac conversion issue.

Last edited by tsgreer; 11-21-2007 at 06:18 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote