View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #33
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Thank you to everyone who answered my questions... but i still honestly do not get it... I understand your reaoning, but it still makes no sense to me.

A book is nore than and idea... it is the product of someone's labor... I just not see how anyone is entitled to that.
Patents are the product of someone's labor, too, often much more intensive and expensive labor than a book is. Yet patents expire after 17 years in the US, so that inventions can become widespread and cheaper, such as generic drugs. Certainly you can see the value of that? Why not see the value of shortened copyright? Or of making out-of-print books available?

Knowledge is power - it's in the public good that the public domain be expanded and that out-of-print books be made available. Although I understand your reasoning (I wrote it! It's mine!), I don't agree with it.

I labor everyday - all I get for it is a paycheck. I don't expect that I'll get a portion of the business's profits for as long as I live + 90 years. Why do authors think they're more entitled than inventors or machinists or accountants?

New disease: Disneyitis.
khalleron is online now   Reply With Quote