View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Xwang
Connoisseur
Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre in mixed case sensitive/insensitive environments

Hi to all!
I use calibre to manage my book collection on an usb disk formatted with ntfs.
I need to be able to operate calibre both in windows and linuxes environments.
So there are the possibility of issues due to the mixture of case sensitiveness and in sensitiveness and the possibility that adding a book under linux, the same is not accessible under windows due to its 256 character limit for the complete file path.
So, according to me, the best way to avoid such problems is:
1) assure that calibre creates directory and files all in upper case
2) assure that the overall length of the file path is no longer than a given value
(by opportunely shortening the file name or the name of the directory containing each book or both).
I'm not a very skilled python programmer (even if I've done some python programming some time ago) and I don't know how calibre is structured, however I would like to try to modify calibre so that to solve these incompatibility issues.
Before starting studying and coding, I would like to know if the proposed approach is feasible for the remaining part of the program or if it risks to break how the library is managed and in case I would like to discuss of alternative ways to solve the issue.
Finally if a solution will be found, will it be integrated in the main code?
Thank you,
Xwang
Xwang is offline   Reply With Quote