View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Ah, so - I was wrong, iptable rules do take address ranges.

I must have been reading a very, very old manual page. Sorry.

You could put the blocking rules in output/postrouting.

If you wanted to keep track of things, you could add -j ulog or -j log before each of the blocking rules.
That would write a log line of the specific ip address(es) in a range that are bring used.

How I came up with the ranges was to do a 'whois' on each of the few addresses that I saw to find who and what size the address range belonged to.

My reasoning being, it is fairly easy to change a domain name, or even a machine's address but to buy another entire address range, just to side-step a publicly posted block would be an unlikely thing for Amazon to do.

Note 1: later in that thread the firmware does try to find IPv6 addresses -
If you have IPv6 connectivity there, it might be best to limit the machine to IPv4 only.

Note 2: It is very unlikely that this prevents 3G communications if your Kindle has 3G - that is a matter still to be dealt with.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote