View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #45
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I think it's different--it's not a matter of "watching the video," but turning it over to a third party, along with the sales receipts of all the shoppers shown in the video.

I don't know the relevant laws; possibly all that's legally necessary is for the store to change its privacy policy from "we will protect your privacy" to "we will hand over your personally-identifying data to anyone who says your account might be associated with illegal behavior, regardless of whether they have any legal enforcement abilities."

Somehow, I think a formal policy like that would be problematic for the store. I don't know if it'd break laws, but it would probably convince people to shop elsewhere--or just be more careful with their bootlegging. I expect BREIN doesn't want the store to announce, "if ebooks with your identifying data in them are found available for download on the internet, we will hand over your data to BREIN on request, and may suspend your account; legal action may be pursued by copyright holders as they deem appropriate."
There are some situations in which giving personal data to third parties is allowed; a store can indeed state something like this: "If you fill out this form, you'll receive a bonus card that gives you a 3% discount. Note that we can use, or provide your personal data to third parties, for marketing purposes."

I do not know if something like that can be done with regard to purchasing goods: "If you purchase this ebook, please note that we will store your information and provide it to BREIN, if they suspect you from illegaly distributing this book in any form."

Parliament, judges, and others have to figure that out.

It would be ridiculous if BREIN can request personal data, because effectively, they cannot do anything with it. They do not have any investigative authority, at least as far as I know, so even IF they have the data, they'll STILL need to go through the law enforcement system to do anything with it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote