View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #47
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm glad I returned mine. This shows that it would never look good for dark room night reading.
Playing Devil's ADvocate here (an unusual position fo rme, as I'm usually crititcal of Amazon), is that really that bad? I have a Kobo Glo and the lighting effect looks pretty similar overall, aside from the fact that (with the default settings) Kobo smartly hid the blotchiness at the bottom by inverting it (creating a small black area with grey text on top of it for the page numbering). Amazon could copy Kobo's innovation (which really does do an amazing job at smoothing out the apparent lighting) with a firmware update for the Paperwhite.

But even without it, isn't that still more even lighting than you would have with an e-ink reader and an external book light? And isn't it still better on your eyes at night than an LCD tablet? I personally don't care how white the screen is (not that Kobo has promised a white screen, perhaps I'd feel differently if I felt lied to); I don't read on an e-reader trying to mimic the paper experience, I read on an e-reader trying to have an e-reading experience.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote