View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #15
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
... Suppose you install two versions of macOS A and B on two drives/partitions respectively.

You can use the same user account, but you don't have to re-install any app that is compatible with both A and B. Otherwise, re-install some apps on an as-needed basis ...
In that case, my original understanding was incorrect.

Looking at my Mac's directory, I have:
  • Applications
  • Library
  • System
  • Users

1) If I have High Sierra installed on my Mac and I install Mojave on an external drive, what exactly would be installed on the external drive? Just the System folder? Then the external drive would share the Applications, Library, and Users folders with my Mac? Wouldn't there be a risk of adverse effects and incompatibilities between the two systems?

2) If Apple releases a software update for Mojave, which is on the external drive, how would that work? Would I be alerted the next time I booted from the Mojave drive and the update would be applied to Mojave without affecting the High Sierra system on my Mac?

I am risk-averse and don't want to do anything that might mess up my primary Mac.

Thank you
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote