View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
After I purchased my MBP 15" Retina a fews years back, I re-purposed my older Mac Mini 2012. I used Bootcamp to partition the 500 GB HDD and Installed High Sierra on one partition and Windows 10 on the other. It works pretty well, despite the age of the Mac Mini 2012 and the fact that it runs a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, but it does have 16 GB of RAM. Win 10 actually runs a little faster than High Sierra on it, if you overlook the fact that every few days Win 10 wants to install new updates which usually take quite a while to complete.

I would not have used Bootcamp on my primary computer. The Mac Mini was old and was destined as a backup in case something happened to my MBP, beyond that it would have done little more. So it seemed a no-brainer to use it with Bootcamp to create a dual boot system with Win 10. I have a lot of apps that I use to program ham radios and scanners that do not run natively on Mac, and ditto for some of my astrophotography related apps. I do have an old Lenovo Yoga 2 11" laptop, but it is maxed out at 4 GB of RAM and has a low powered processor. Win 10 on the Mac Mini runs much better than it does on the old laptop.

I guess you could run another version of Mac OS X in the second partition rather than install Win 10. I don't think I would want to do that though, especially on my primary computer. If de-DRM stuff works on Win 10, that might be the better option. I used to do the de-DRM stuff years ago, but I quit a long time ago and have not kept up with it. I never did use calibre much, so ditto. So I'm not sure how, or if, it would work on Win 10.

ETA: My Amcrest surveillance cameras still use a 32-bit app. The app is becoming quite unstable on my MBP running Mojave, but it still works very well on my Mac Mini running High Sierra. Every Mojave update seems to cause more issues with that app suite. And just recently within the past few weeks some parts no longer work at all in Mojave but work fine in High Sierra. I have not updated Mojave in quite a while, whenever the last update was released as it is up to date. Apple did push some secret squirrel updates out though. The Amcrest software has not been updated in a couple of years. Yet it is getting more and more unstable on Mojave but works fine on High Sierra. The Amcrest app and web browser sites are becoming unstable on iOS 12.3 and no longer work well via Safari.

Last edited by OtinG; 07-21-2019 at 12:26 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote