View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #12
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I have the Mars, and my Nova arrived yesterday. The Nova is more expensive, so the main question is whether the extra cost is worth it.

I bought the Mars soon after it became available on Amazon. Now, I have the Nova soon after it became available. Initially, my Mars couldn't run Play Store at all. The seller needed to email me a link to where I could download updated firmware from Boyue, and software to wipe my Mars and install the new firmware. The Mars initially couldn't refresh the display for third party apps, or for its own browser. Updates have largely addressed those issues.

The Nova is ahead of the game at this stage. Play Store does work, though it doesn't seem to remember what apps I have already bought. Refresh works well. I imagine that updates will address any glitches in the Nova soon.

The Mars has certain advantages. It has a microSD card slot. You can enable adoptable storage and have that sd card become part of internal storage. If you do that, however, Boyue's updates will not install. I also prefer the Mars' home screen to that of the Nova.

The Nova has certain advantages. Its warm light has more of an orange tint, and therefore seems warmer, than that of the Mars. The Nova has twice the internal storage of the Mars (but no microSD card slot). The Nova's firmware allows you to optimize every third party app individually - and has many more options for this than the Mars offers, including screen refresh options. The Nova weighs a little less than the Mars.

Overall performance is very close between the two. I'll need more time to get a sense of the Nova's battery life. I haven't tried audio on either device, or the Bluetooth connections.

When I've had more time with the Nova, I may try to do a more detailed comparison.

At this point, I'd say that the decision for one or the other is based largely on two factors. One - do you want the microSD card slot or more internal storage? Two - which one's light do you like best?
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote