View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It's looking like, barring some last-minute surge by another, it will be The Permanent Husband.

My order of preference this month is

Talismano (sounds exotic and unique)
Columba (can't believe it didn't even get one vote!)
The Butcher Boy (perhaps not obscure though)
The Permanent Husband
Memoirs of a Midget (I love some of the Brontes' works, so this sounds interesting)
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket
Hunger

I included even the non-fully nominated since there is only two and also to say that I found all seven of the nominations this month interesting. Even Hunger, but in a list something has to be last. In a different mood, in a different week, some of the list could be rearranged.

To The Permanent Husband, it seems it's more often called by its aka, The Eternal Husband, at least in Amazon and Sony Reader store searches.

Circling back to the very beginning of our book club, I'm going to go with the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation which are the same translators I chose to read The Master and Margarita from our first month. The P/V Eternal Husband translation costs $5.99 U.S. which is cheap for them (I think my Master & Margarita cost over $10 U.S.) and is a compilation actually titled "The Eternal Husband and Other Stories". Note - If you are searching for this particular version in the Sony store, do not search with the actual author's name or it won't show up! I thought Sony didn't sell it until I found it through inkmesh, where I noticed the author for it at the Sony site is "Richard Pevear".

However, there may be and probably are free translations available too.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote