View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
I think that for me a lot of the urge to educate comes from the pains I've endured in the last 20+ years in the IT industry for having let Microsoft run rampant and watching wave after wave of people run over horrible terrain, crying and screaming all the while, wondering why they're in such agony (and to be fair though, Bill Gates is one seriously smart business man).
Well, though I agree, I wouldn't dump it all on Bill Gates' lap... he was just taking advantage of what was a very dysfunctional system in the first place. Although that has a lot of parallels to those pirating ebooks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
On the other hand, there are newcomers -- several noobies register everry day, and gosh knows how many casual lurkers pop by. To many of these folks, such threads are just what they were looking for and appear fresh.
See, that's the thing: Newbies, asking those age-old questions, deserve answers, and I want them to understand that some of us don't create stories just for kicks and grins. But then the familiar faces show up, arguments ensue, and... there you are, before you know it, having that same discussion again, and you can't quite come up with that Absolute Closer that no one can contest, you don't want to walk away and give the impression that the other argument won, you don't want to just cuss out the other person and run, thereby conceding your position by default...

And the newbies come away thinking: "Man, what a bunch of loose screws around here!"

I think the thing is to say, "DRM... no DRM... piracy... no piracy... the issue at hand is to respect an author's desire to be able to make money from his work."

And then run away. Okay, you can walk... but don't dawdle.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote