View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #327
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
May I suggest a feature to help Kindle 3, Kindle4 NT, Kindle Touch and Kindle PaperWhite owners? I know that ePub is not actually handled by these devices but the new AZW3/mobi8 format handles many of ePub features. An ePub converted to mobi8 with calibre looks very similar to the original

However there's an important missing feature on kindles: hyphenation. The funny thing is that hyphens can already be handled by newer kindles. If you manually insert the ­ HTML entity between the syllables an ePub book and convert it to AZW3 they're correctly rendered on the screeen.

My question is: would it be possible to add an "add/remove hyphenation emulation support for newer kindle firmwares" feature to the "Modify ePub" plugin? I know it's an ugly solution but at the moment it's the only option to have hyphenation support to AZW3 books on kindles (and no, it won't break indexing and searching).

P.S. There's a kindle touch firmware hack by Ixtab which adds hyphenation for the older mobi format but it cannot work with mobi8/azw3.

Last edited by pirl8; 12-12-2012 at 04:13 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote