View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
sdsullivan
Author
sdsullivan will become famous soon enoughsdsullivan will become famous soon enoughsdsullivan will become famous soon enoughsdsullivan will become famous soon enoughsdsullivan will become famous soon enoughsdsullivan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
No problem.

I feel obliged to point out though, that many of my short stories feature ongoing characters -- similar to the way Robert E. Howard used to write about Conan and his other creations time and again.

So, there is some chance for continuity and character development, even in my shorter work.

Crimson, from "Crimson & Dragons," has appeared in a handful of stories already -- plus Tournament of Death, the free online novel -- and I just wrote another story with her this week. (First draft.)

"Snowraven" is the first of what I hope will be a series of stories as well -- either in prose or comic books or both. And she, too, just appeared in another story I've written but not yet published.

So, as far as these two stories go, if they leave you (and other readers) wanting more -- and I hope they do -- there will be more forthcoming.

I'm an "ongoing character" kind of guy.

Additionally, supporting the short work with these characters encourages me to consider putting them not only in more shorts, but also into novels, too.

These characters I own, unlike my work-for-hire characters and novels. Which is one reason why work-for-hire can be frustrating: as an author, you get attached to characters you don't own and may never be permitted to write again. That's happened to me several times.

But not with these characters and worlds.

Which is why you can expect to see them again -- as long as fans support my work and I can find stories to tell about them.
sdsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote