View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrickh View Post
$179 for the ereader? Too much.
Um-- those are $79, not $179. I was at CVS a couple of weeks ago, buying some highly overpriced DVD-Rs during a back-up emergency, and they were on the top shelf on the wall behind the register. I asked the clerk if it was some type of MP3 player (he said that it was) and the price, he scanned it, it came up as $79. I thought it was just a cheap Ipod Touch clone, and assumed that it could be hacked to read ebooks, but he didn't offer to let me read the box, and I didn't ask, because even $79 was more than I was willing to pay for a backlit LCD device. Maybe they were mispriced, maybe they were on sale, but there was no chance I misread the display-- the manager was standing beside the cashier and he guessed $59 before it scanned.

Edit-- looking at the packaging, I don't know if I would have missed seeing it say "book" on the box and showing icons of book covers on the screen, even though I was never closer than several feet from it (I was walking out the door when I noticed them behind the counter and asked about it.) It is possible, I suppose, but at the time I thought that the images on the screen on the device on the box (in the hole in the bottom of the sea) were like Ipod/Iphone/Ipad icons. So I'm not sure about the $79 price. Maybe I saw the reader, and maybe I saw what really was an Ipod clone that looked just about the same on the packaging.

Last edited by ardeegee; 08-19-2010 at 09:23 PM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote