View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by solara View Post
Okay, a few more questions:

1-Does Pocket Pro support PRC (I have a lot of PRC books)? On Astak's website, they list .PRC as one of the major formats supported (under Features section), but under the complete list of supported non-DRM formats under Specifications, .PRC is not on the list (but .PDB and everything else is)??

I'm guessing the info page for the 5" and 6" reader is just not complete - the single FAQ page for both 5" and 6" state both readers support the same non-DRM formats.

2-Also, I've been reading about how Astak doesn't seem to render .LIT files very well. Is this a known problem, and are there any plans to improve support for .LIT files (not the larger than 4mb files and those with lots of pictures - just basic .LIT files with text)?
NEGATIVE:
1) The rendering of .Lit files is not very good. It also has difficulties with rft. I'm very displeased with that and feel that Astak should drop that advertising from the list or fix it and make it usable. It's one thing to say "we have [fill in the blank]"; it's another issue entirely when it is barely usuable or functional.

2)
My case displays poor stitching, as well as mis-cutting BEFORE it was stitched together. It does, however, indeed protect the Pocket Pro.

3) The implementation of hyperlinks is a pain-in-the-ass.

POSITIVE:
1) The Pocket Pro is very good with ePub and with Mobi/PRC files.

2) It's a very light unit and easy to carry around.

3) The Pocket Pro is fun to read on.

There's much to like in the Pocket Pro, but there is a lot of work ahead for Astak. Remapping a few keys "does not a Reader make." Get the programmers off their ass and get that .Lit implementation either working or off the advertising page. I vehemently dislike advertising that sings the same song over...and over...and over again, when it is (blatantly) a hyped-up falsehood in what it promises. There are a lot more positives/negatives that can be mentioned. The Pocket Pro is a fine Reader. What I've listed here are things that really bother me, as well as listed a couple of things I really like.

Remember: Your opinions may differ, and anyone here is welcome to disagree or agree.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-20-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote