View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
My tastes run towards simplicity.
While I appreciate a well-crafted turn of phrase, lyrical word-smithing is not a requirement and overly lyrical prose will raise a caution flag. Unless the book is well-above average, I would be less inclined to return for more from the same autor. Especially if word-smithing is most or all that the author has to offer.

Conversely, I look favorably upon authors whose prose is lean and concise and who get to the point easily. Even more if they have a worthwhile point to get to.

Examples? I favor Asimov, Heinlein, Dickson, and Anderson over Ellison, Bradbury, Moorcock, and Delany even though I have read, enjoyed, and own many titles from all of the above. Thus I am more likely to reread books from the former group than the latter.

Ideas over mood, basically.
Worldbuilding over pathos; plot over theme; rationality over neuroses...

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-16-2013 at 05:41 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote