View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
There are two important differences between SOPA and this:
  1. SOPA was "defeated" (it keeps coming back) by a concerted effort of individuals contacting their congresspeople and prominent websites "going dark" to represent what would happen tot he web if it passed. There was probably a change.org petition as well, but that had little or no impact. Action + petition == Action.
  2. SOPA was a law proposed by the government. In theory, the government is supposed to represent the interests of the people, and thus in theory they have to listen when all of their constituents scream out in a unified "Noooooooooooooo!". Google is not a government. Google does not have to answer to anybody but their shareholders, and their shareholders don't care about Reader unless it affects the bottom line.
Note that I said the petition was "part" of a successful campaign not the only element. I also said that SOPA is out " at least for now" but that does not negate the success of the petition or the twitter campaign or the phone calls to representative or any other way the people made their displeasure known.

Your made a general statement about petitions not working, I provided some indications that they have worked. You didn't provide any qualifiers as to why petitions don't work in your original statement and your "two important differences" don't take away from the success of the petition (in my opinion).

And you seemed to have missed the last sentence of my post.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote