View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #112
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I think that is much too strong. Are you bothered by stores that have security cameras and tags on their merchandise? Do you feel that they consider you to be a thief when you walk into a store?
If they continued the surveillance in my home, to verify that I wasn't "misusing" my purchases, I'd be greatly bothered.

Securing their property is fine. What I don't like is when sellers try to keep securing it after purchase.

Even if it's still "their property"... rental cars don't have cameras that watch you drive, nor do they track exactly where the car's driven. They don't tell you what kind of garage you can park in. They don't tell you which roads you may or may not drive on. You're required to keep the vehicle in good condition and return it promptly; how you use it, within those boundaries, is up to you.

A "leased" car that you keep forever, but is not permitted to be driven on freeways on the grounds that "it might get into an accident," would be soundly rejected as a ridiculous purchase.

Quote:
There ARE thieves around and in the end we honest buyers wind up paying the tab for the thieves in the stores and for the pirates that widely distribute the ebooks. It means companies have to charge higher prices to cover their lost sales.
There's no statistical evidence that filesharing causes lost sales. If that were true, you'd expect the most-pirated ebooks to have the lowest sales, not the other way around.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote