View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyz View Post
At this point when ever I add a new book to my Kobo wifi and allow Kobo to look after the database updating itself it is automatically adding them to the "I'm Reading" list on the Kobo Wifi Model. So I have over 500 books in my "I'm Reading" list and it would take forever to removed them one by one on it. It would be helpful being able to make database updates from the PC management side. Since Calibre is the preferred PC ebook management application for side loading books it would be nice to see this integration.
From the subject and this, I assume you haven't followed the instructions in the warning message. Once you select the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option, calibre can make some changes to the database on the Kobo. For a Kobo WiFi, this will work with no problems. But, I don't know if that will solve your problem.

When putting a new book on a Kobo device, calibre does not make any changes to the database. It is left up to the Kobo to process the books when it is disconnected. The Kobo does a of work when it processes new books and attempting to reproduce this could lead to problems.

Once a book is loaded on the Kobo, the current calibre driver can do some things. If you set "Metadata Management" to automatic on the "Sending books to devices", the driver will change the collections that the books are in based on the tags column. Any book with "Im_Reading", "Read", "Shortlist" or "Closed" as a tag will be put in those collections. Any book that doesn't have them, will be removed from the collection.

That should work, but I don't have a Kobo WiFi to try it with. It does do this for my Kobo Touch. The databases in the two are identical.
Quote:
I understand that this is an issue on the Kobo side as well. I am hoping as another customer putting this information forward (as I am also doing with Kobo) that I can get the two of you together to share information and work out bringing this new driver to your users.
The Kobo WiFi firmware has not changed for a long time. I don't think that Kobo are planning to release another version.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote