Thread: iPad iPad1 or iPad2?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks to you both.

How much faster would you say the iPad2 is than the iPad1?

So far as I know now whichever one I buy will be used mostly for ebooks, and perhaps games. Movies are definitely not a high priority, and internet access is probably a low priority. From what I saw this morning Maps could be useful for occasional use.
I think if you haven't used both, you won't be disappointed with the speed of the iPad 1-it really is a nice device.

But I can definitely tell the difference in speed between the two on many tasks-in terms of screen responsiveness, graphics, and just overall usage. The iPad 2 also has twice the memory as the iPad 1, which is noticeable when browsing with multiple tabs in Safari-but if you aren't seeing internet access as a priority, that probably won't matter to you.

Games however-the iPad 2 has not just a better processor (dual-core A5 vs. single-core A4), but also a much more capable graphics GPU for games:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/a...p2-benchmarked

But again, those are for graphic intensive games-I doubt Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies, for example, are any different on both platforms.

And like MGMueller, I always go with 3G as well-not just for GPS (which is nice to have), but just because I take my iPad along with me everywhere, and love having instant access without having to bother with tethering or finding a wi-fi spot.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote