View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
farrioth
Enthusiast
farrioth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
How to Remove Books from the I'm Reading List without Scrolling to the End

While playing around with my new Kobo, I came across the common problem of having no option to remove a book from the 'I'm Reading' list without scrolling to the last page of the last chapter.

So I worked out my own solution. It isn't that time-consuming, but might be a bit complex as it involves editing the SQLite database.

The steps are as follows:

1. Install sqlitebrowser or another sqlite editor.

I'm using Crunchbang, but any system that can run sqlitebrowser should work. On Ubuntu (and probably Debian) based systems, you can install sqlitebrowser with 'apt-get install sqlitebrowser'.

2. Back up your Kobo's database.

If your Kobo is mounted on /media/KOBOeReader, then the database will be at /media/KOBOeReader/.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite.

3. Open the Kobo's database with sqlitebrowser.

4. Go to the 'Browse Data' tab and select the table 'content'.

This may take a while to load.

You will find a record for each chapter of each book, followed by one for the book as a whole. This last entry is the one that needs editing. The fields 'BookID' and 'BookTitle' should be empty (unlike the chapters), and the book's title should be in the 'Title' field. You may use the find window to search for this record.

5. Once you have found the book's entry, set it to be unread.

Set 'FirstTimeReading' to 'true' and 'ReadStatus' to '0'.

If you want to find all books (and documents) that are in the reading list, search for 'ReadStatus' = '1'.

6. Save the database.

7. Unmount and disconnect your Kobo.

After the Kobo has processed new content, the books should no longer appear in the reading list. If something goes wrong, restore the backup of your database.

I take no responsibility for corrupting your Kobo's database, but please let me know if anything doesn't work with these instructions. I have tested them with version 1.4 of the firmware only.
farrioth is offline   Reply With Quote